Monday, May 1, 2017

Get to Know your Needle Worker

A New Start

Many of my fellow stitchers from Facebook have taken to creating Flosstube videos on You Tube to share their stitching journey. After considerable thought I have decided to continue with my written blog rather than create videos. While the written word may not be  as engaging to most, it is a more comfortable medium for me.  2016 and the beginning of 2017 have been challenging so I invested  very little time  in sharing  my stitching activities through this blog. So I thought I would  begin again.

What better way to start than to write responses to the "Get to Know your Needle Worker" tag.  I thought I would cover a couple of questions in each post and perhaps writing about other stitching experiences as well.

Getting to Know Your Needle Worker

1. Where do you live?

I live in a small suburban town in upstate New York on a quiet tree lined street which is part of a fairly typical American housing subdivision. Our house is a center entrance two story colonial with a beautiful  1/4 acre back yard.  I have lived in this community for 37 years. I  met and married my dear husband here; raised a family, built two careers and now enjoy the pleasure of grandchildren. And while I often pine for warmer weather I feel bound to this place in a way that makes it hard to leave.

2. What do you do for a living?

I am currently a university professor and have been one for 19 years. My primary responsibility is teaching computing subjects in the networking, systems administration, and security sub-disciplines. I also have the responsibility to develop curriculum, mentor graduate students, and currently I serve as program coordinator for the degree program I teach in which is Computing and Information Technology.  It is my second career and is a rich and engaging one. I love working with the students. While we are there to engage them intellectually in the classroom our responsibility extends beyond that to helping them transform from children into adults,

 What Project Am I Really Excited About? 

I currently have 23 WIPs so I have lots to be excited about. But the one I am most excited about is something I am stitching for my daughter for Mother's Day. I will not share it here and now in case she should happen to read my blog even though I believe she is much too busy to chasing TLO ( The Little One) to read blogs anymore. The next project I am excited about is one I started at a retreat I attended at the end of March. I will share my wonderful experiences at retreat and my new project start in my next post. 

To quote Danielle (Stitcherista) I wish all of you Happy Stitching and Happy Stashing


1 comment:

  1. I, too, am a fan of the written word over videos - I enjoy watching floss tubes from time to time, but I don't think I could get myself to make videos myself! So nice to have you here still.
    Your job sounds awesome - I'm working with computer science students as well, and really enjoy it (even though I hardly count as an adult myself, so I can't really claim to help them in this regard!)

    ReplyDelete